The Madison County Industrial Development Authority has two “shovel-ready” plans for county water expansion and will hold a public hearing April 14 at 10 a.m. to hear from the public about these plans.
According to IDA executive director Marvin White, the first plan calls for a $2.8 million water line project for the Harrison District that includes interconnections to Royston and Franklin County water systems. An application has already been submitted to the Georgia Environmental Facilities Association (GEFA) for funding assistance.
A $13 million secondary plan covers a large portion of the county including: Commerce water mains currently in Madison County (the contract with Commerce ends in 2011), and an elevated tank; a water main along Hwy. 98 west of Ila; a water main south along Hwy. 106 from Ila to Fortson Store Road at Hull-Sanford Elementary; a water main along Rogers Mill Road and a possible connection to Elbert County’s water system from Madison County northeast along Hwy. 172 to the Broad River.
The IDA voted Monday night to submit an application to GEFA for the $13 million plan. White said the county should be eligible for a 70/30 loan through federal stimulus monies (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) for rural counties for this project. This would include a 70 percent subsidy and a three-percent loan for the remaining 30 percent spread over a 20-year period.
In another matter, the authority will open bids for Phase I work on the Hull-Sanford sewer project April 7 at 2 p.m. in the Chamber of Commerce boardroom.
The IDA also plans to apply to GEFA under the “Green Project” for possible federal stimulus funding of Phase II of the project, which also would include a 70 percent subsidy and a 30 percent payback at three percent over 20 years.
White said despite delays, the IDA hopes to have the sewer system on line by the end of August.