Work will begin soon on a water system in the Harrison area.
The Madison County Industrial Development and Building Authority approved a bid June 16 from Griffin Brothers out of Maysville of roughly $1.2 million to construct a water system in the Harrison area.
The project is part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) provided to Georgia for shovel-ready projects. The federal funding consists of a 70 percent subsidy ($1,610,000) and a three-percent 20-year loan on the remaining 30 percent ($690,000).
There were three requirements to be eligible for the stimulus funds: construction must be begin as soon as possible; work must be completed within 18 months and American products must be used in the construction.
The Madison County funds approved in May, along with a $25 million grant/loan package for Athens/Clarke County, were the first financed in Georgia by the ARAA.
The IDA also seeks $13 million in stimulus funds for other projects. And IDA executive director Marvin White said the county should get word on those applications sometime in the fall.
The $13 million plan covers a large portion of the county including: Commerce water mains currently in Madison County (the contract with Commerce ends in 2011), and an elevated tank; a water main along Hwy. 98 west of Ila; a water main south along Hwy. 106 from Ila to Fortson Store Road at Hull-Sanford Elementary; a water main along Rogers Mill Road and a possible connection to Elbert County’s water system from Madison County northeast along Hwy. 172 to the Broad River.
Apply for stimilus $$$ from the Federal Government just like the IDA did for this water project. Some people just like to stir the pot & blame innocent citizens who did not have a thing to do with this project in order to try to convince many that this is wrong. I, for one, am thankful that some of the stimilus money is coming to Madison County. If you do not apply...you do not receive. Get on board people, there is a great deal of stimilus money out there for all kinds of projects. Educate yourself on this & apply for it!
Seems you are just a little jealous.So, you are from another county dept. I'm sure your feathers are ruffled b/c you are NOT doing your job & want a free ride, like others there. This project was submitted by the IDA for stimilus $$$ & our government rated the project as #1 on a very long list of water needs from other counties. So shut up & be thankful that Madison County is getting some of the funds provided by our Federal government. OH, I guess you would have wanted the $$ to benefit other counties & NOT our wonderful county of Madison. Just shows your intelligence & ignorance.
Mrs. Cox is a an upstanding lady of exemplary
character and is well qualified for the job she was hired for. She has many years past experience in this field. She is pleasant and helpful in her demeanor.
She would never lower herself to respond to such inenundos . You are a very mean and vengeful person to make such comments about her. Evidently you are not a Christian,because Christians uphold each other and lift each other up.Let these people do their jobs in peace and you keep your nose in your own business. Enough is enough.