While potential sewer expansions were a focus of Madison County leaders March 10, the group also discussed the upcoming regional transportation sales tax referendum in 2012.
The transportation special purpose local option sales tax (T-SPLOST) would be divided into two revenue streams: 75 percent of the money collected in the 10-county region would go toward projects of “regional interest.” The other 25 percent of the pooled money would be divided among the counties. And local governments could use that money as they see fit.
If the referendum is approved next August, Madison County leaders expect roughly $1.4 million annually in revenues from that tax for road improvements. They say they could address numerous road issues that currently have no funding.
But Madison County leaders also want to put projects on the 75 percent portion of the referendum. And they are discussing projects of “regional interest” in Madison County. These proposals include turn lanes at the intersection of Hwy. 29 and Hwy. 98 in Danielsville and upgrades to Hwy. 29 and to Hwy. 72.
Comer mayor David McMickle again reiterated the need Thursday to address the traffic situation at Comer Elementary School on Hwy. 98. He said the school desperately needs a turn lane into the school, not only to help alleviate traffic congestion during dropoff and pickup times, but primarily to improve safety. He worries about truck traffic on Hwy. 98 and the possibility of an accident when trucks come up on the stopped school traffic.